👋 Emberistas! 🐹
Fill out the Ember Community Survey by April 7th! 🗳, EmberConf on April 19th 🐹, Upcoming free technical writing workshop 📝, Chris Ng is added to the Learning Core Team 🥳, Decorators are in TC39 Stage 3 🎉, Whiskey Web and Whatnot Episodes 🎙, Dynamic component import demo 😎, Ember Addon Roundup 🌐
The annual Ember Community Survey is open for only a few more days (until 4/7)! This is another reminder that the Ember core teams would love to hear from you!
The annual Ember Community Survey helps guide direction in the Ember ecosystem. The data informs project prioritization, sparks new ideas, and reveals opportunities for growth.
Learn more about the survey and fill it out by April 7th!
Here's another friendly 🤠 reminder that EmberConf registration is open! Register now and join the community remotely on April 19th for an amazing lineup of talks.
What are the elements of great technical articles or examples? What are some tips for writing for a global audience? How do you find a place to begin when there are so many different directions you could go? How should your writing style change depending on where it will be published? This is also another reminder if you want to join the Ember Learning team for a workshop that covers all of this! It will be half instruction, half hands-on activities.
If there is enough interest, the workshop will be offered in two sessions:
- April 23rd - aimed at Western Hemisphere time zone participants
- April 30th - aimed at Eastern Hemisphere time zone participants
To receive announcements about specific times and event details, please fill out this form.
Please join us in welcoming the newest Learning Core team member, Chris Ng (@chrisrng)! 🥳 👏 🎉 Chris has contributed an amazing amount to Learning team efforts, like the Ember Times, already, and we can't wait to see what else is in store!
Decorators have been a thing in Ember for some time now, but recently TC39 advanced decorators to Stage 3! 🎉 This is a step closer to the features of non-Angular-style decorators shipping natively in browsers rather than needing various degrees of expensive transpilation. Many thanks and congratulations to Chris Garrett (@pzuraq) for championing this effort!
There are two more new awesome episodes of the Whiskey Web and Whatnot podcast! 🔥
First, creators Robert Wagner (@rwwagner90) and Chuck Carpenter (@chuckcarpenter) of Ship Shape sit down with Kara Luton (@karaluton) and they discuss Kara's experience learning and relearning Ember, why she loves the Ember community, and her advice for those looking to switch careers. Check out the episode here.
Next up is an episode with Ember Learning Core Team member Jen Weber (@jenweber) chatting with Robbie and Chuck about how to standardize an ever-evolving industry, the struggle to measure developer expertise, and why the Ember community is largely responsible for Jen's growth, career, and overall outlook on tech. Check out the episode here.
Ember Addon Roundup 🌐
- Chris Thoburn (@runspired) released Flexi 3.0 beta after almost 5 years of hiatus! Flexi is a responsive-design layout framework focused on performance and maintainability, utilizing Ember for greater configuration and convenience. This release supports Ember 3.28+.
- Josemar Luedke (@josemarluedke) released Frontile v0.14.0. Frontile aims to provide the legos (components, helpers, modifiers, and styles) necessary for building consistent and powerful Ember.js apps while following best practices from the community and providing both low-level and high-level components for your application. This release adds Embroider support!
- Giles Thompson (@gilest) released Ember File Upload v5. Ember File Upload is an Ember addon that helps upload files by managing uploads through queues in the background. This release provides Ember Octane, v4 and Embroider support. Check the upgrade guide for more information.
- Chris Krycho (@chriskrycho) released ember-modifier v3.2.0 which aligns the modifier design with the rest of the Ember ecosystem and improves its TypeScript support (including with Glint). Check the changelog for full details and the migration guide for how to upgrade your code!
This week we'd like to thank Giles Thompson (@gilest), Matic Jurglič (@jurgenwerk), Godfrey Chan (@chancancode), Matt Edwards (@wondersloth), Dean Marano (@deanmarano), Sergey Astapov (@SergeAstapov), Chris Krycho (@chriskrycho), Nathaniel Furniss (@nlfurniss), Stanislav Romanov (@kaermorchen), @MathijsPeerlings, Steve Calvert (@scalvert), Jeldrik Hanschke (@jelhan), Chris Freeman (@cafreeman), Pedro Zurbach (@gzurbach), Eric (@Mithrilhall), Addison G (@AddisonG), Jared Galanis (@jaredgalanis), Chris Ng (@chrisrng), Jeff Daley (@jeffdaley), Scott Newcomer (@snewcomer), Robert Jackson (@rwjblue), Jen Weber (@jenweber), and Ricardo Mendes (@locks) for their contributions to Ember and related repositories! 💖
Wondering about something related to Ember, Ember Data, Glimmer, or addons in the Ember ecosystem, but don't know where to ask? Readers’ Questions are just for you!
Submit your own short and sweet question under bit.ly/ask-ember-core. And don’t worry, there are no silly questions, we appreciate them all - promise! 🤞
That's another wrap! ✨
Chris Ng, Jared Galanis and the Learning Team